The Great Kitchen
Over the centuries this part of the castle has had several uses. As well as a kitchen it has served as a school room and refectory.
As we see it today
it has been largely rebuilt. With their arched tops, the three huge fireplaces would have been used to prepare royal banquets. These would
then have been carried to the Great Hall, now known as the King's Hall, where monarchs throughout the ages would banquet.
This section of the castle was badly damaged during the Wars of the Roses in 1464 when the fortress became the first in England to be destroyed
by gunpowder and shot. Two hundred years later, the Lord Crewe Trustees resurrected the ruins and built classrooms for their charitable school.
360 Virtual Tour
Take the Tour
Take a virtual walk through the castle